Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Happy Birthday, Claire!!

Claire has been looking forward to turning five for several months now, and the day finally came. I think it was everything she expected it to be. She has been so excited all day, and she tells me things that have changed since she reached this magical age. For example, I was brushing her hair after her bath, and I was in a hurry, so I wasn't being super soft (but I wasn't yanking either). She said, "Mom, since I'm five now, it doesn't hurt when you brush my hair." I thought it was cute. She reached a higher level of maturity overnight.

I do have to say that my life is so much more full having Claire in it. She is a great peacemaker in our home, and is always trying to help her family to be happy. She is learning to give to others, even if the things she gives are things she really wants for herself. She has a beautiful smile and a beautiful soul. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father that he saw fit to send me such a sweet little spirit.

To celebrate her birthday, we invited some family from Kimball's side for a little party. We had Brian and Tasha and their four children, Daniella, Broderick, Emeline, and Anthon, and Mike and Silvia and their two children, Mikey and Isabelle. Kimball barbecued hamburgers (Claire's birthday dinner request) and I made a cake. I was quite proud of my first fondant cake. Thanks, Cynthia, for the great recipe. It was a lot of fun to create with.

Doesn't Claire's smile make you want to smile too? Come on, try it.

Claire got a My Little Pony and a Tinker Bell shirt from Isabelle and Mikey. Emeline is behind Claire.

Kimball went to the store and let Claire pick something to get for her birthday. She wanted hair clips, and these are the prized ones she picked. She is happy with the clips, as you can imagine.

The kids enjoyed building a fun marble race together. Later the older boys, Nathan and Broderick, had fun with a lizard and a dragon costume, chasing the younger kids and making them scream.....really loud. That game didn't last too long.

This is the fondant I made to decorate the cake. It was my first time ever making it, but thanks to Cynthia's pointers, it turned out great!

I got the rolled-out fondant on the cake with no problems. The cake was a Betty Crocker butter pecan mix. Claire wanted it square, and I wanted it to be better than just regular cake. I cut each square in half lengthwise and turned it into a four-layer cake. I used cream cheese filling and sprinkled each layer with toffee bits and chopped walnuts. It was very tasty!

Here's the finished creation. For my first time working with fondant, I thought I did a fair job. Claire wanted pink, blue, and purple. She was very happy with her cake.

Claire was captivated by the lighting of the candles.

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

You did a fabulous job on that cake. It turned out so cute. I'm glad you had fun with it. Happy Birthday Claire! We love you tons.

big8smiley said...

That looks like a fun little party! I can't believe Claire is already 5! I love it when kids turn a new age and suddenly act differently to fit the new, older them. It's so cute. :) Also, your cake turned out really well! I think you did a great job on it. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLAIRE!!

Shnopa said...

I love the cake. Maybe you can start up your own business like Cynthia. But remember the advice that you MUST charge for your cakes.

Happy Birthday Claire! She waved at me on Saturday and that was very special to me. She is a sweet and cute little girl. And she's growing up so quickly. I'm glad she had a nice time.